Categories Menu
Minutes 11/14/16

Minutes 11/14/16

Rat Island Rowing and Sculling Club Board Meeting Minutes November 14, 2016

Call to Order/Roll Call: Peggy Myre called the meeting to order at 3:30 p.m. at the Northwest Maritime Center.
Board members present: Don Berger, John Collins, Nancy Erreca, Steve Jefferies, Karen Michaud, Michele Olsen, Cara Warren
Board members absent: Jim Buckley
Also present: Steve Chapin, Mari Friend, Jim Mason

Approval of Agenda: Cara moved to approve the agenda after adding an item from Steve C. and the HOTL crash. Steve seconded. Motion passed.

Approval of October Minutes: Michele moved to approve. Karen seconded. Motion passed.

HOTL Crash: Michele described the incident with the Riverside (details on the website) and passed around a letter written by Jeanne Costello thanking the Pocock Rowing Center for their help recovering the boat and picking up the crew in their safety launch. We are sending a $100 donation check. A harbor police report and a state park and rec report has been made. A description of the sail boat is on 48 North’s Facebook page and they will put an ad in their next issue to try and find the sail boat. Steve C. will do a thorough evaluation and make an estimate of the damage. We will be sending a letter to HOTL requesting they keep their safety launches on the water longer after the race to make sure all boats are safe.

Treasurer’s Report: John reported that we will have $2906 remaining at the end of our fiscal year with predicted expenses. We have $3828 in our self insurance fund. The $1500 estimated for the repair of Susan Rice’s wherry will come out of our contingency fund. The estimate to convert the tiller launch to a steering wheel is $1500 plus we need to build the housing around the wheel. John moved to spend up to $1700. Don seconded. Motion passed. After discussing purchasing oars for shorter rowers it was decided to try adjusting a couple pair we already have and see how that works.

Winter Meeting: The dinner meeting will be December 13th upstairs at the Maritime Center. Details to be emailed. There will not be a regular board meeting in December. Peggy reported that the nominating committee of Jeanne Costello, Beth Johnson and Kate Franco need up to six nominees to fill the vacated spots. Only Peggy, John and Karen will remain on the board next year. The election will be held at the meeting. Peggy will thank new members, volunteers and launch drivers at the meeting. Karen will present the Bent Skeg award for the most improved rower and John will give the treasurer’s report. We will also discuss plans for next season and having several committees continue to meet over the winter. Don will talk about the Sequim Bay Rowing Club.

Property Insurance follow-up: John asked that we consider insuring the Oct with hull insurance in addition to our self insurance fund that we use for minor repairs. We can also put more money into the self insurance fund. The current cost for hull insurance is $500 a year. John will ask about higher deductibles.

Guest Ppolicy follow-up: Michele presented the final version but needs to confirm that the US Rowing waiver is necessary. Steve moved to approve the policy with the waiver wording correction if necessary. John seconded. Motion passed.

Winter Program: John would like to see an indoor training regimen with ergs, weights and rowing if weather permits. The launch is in the water until the end of the month.

Coaching Program: Peggy met with the coaching program committee and everyone wants more opportunities for coaching and video reviews next season. The committee will suggest some options.

Adjournment: There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 5:20 p.m.

Date of next meeting: Dinner potluck on December 13th at NWMC.

Respectfully submitted,
Nancy Erreca, Secretary

Committees:
Publicity/Outreach/Fundraising: Francine
Website: Francine
Google Groups: John
Competition and Training: Jim B., John, Kate, Ted
Maintenance and Equipment: Jim M., Steve
Participation and Turnout: Mari, John
Launch: Steve, John
Learn To Row: Jim M., Jim B., Michele, Martha
Safety/Policy: Patricia Farmer, Roger McPherson, Janet Palmer
Merchandise: Kathleen
Membership: Cara
Scholarship: Peggy J., Linda D.
Finance: Members needed
Safe Sport: Mari, Steve