Categories Menu
Minutes 2/13/17

Minutes 2/13/17

Rat Island Rowing and Sculling Club Board Meeting Minutes February 13, 2017

Call to Order/Roll Call: Peggy Myre called the meeting to order at 1:05 p.m. at the Northwest Maritime Center.

Current board members present: Dennis Cartwright, John Collins, Sally Giesler, Kim Matthews, Karen Michaud, Kristin Smith, Frank Ward

Also present: Jim Mason, Steve Jefferies

Approval of Agenda (with additional agenda item, boat acquisition): John moved to approve the agenda. Frank seconded. Motion passed.

 

Approval of January Minutes: Sally moved to approve. Dennis seconded. Motion passed.

Plan for March meeting: March 14th is the member meeting; the Board may or may not meet on the 13th dependent on how much progress can be made to finalize the agenda. One of the major decisions to be made is keeping a cap of 75 on membership due to insurance reasons. Keeping a cap will influence budget and recruitment for the fiscal year. The current bylaws/guidelines/procedures need to be updated as terms and documents are not consistent; Frank has agreed to review and present a draft to the Board.

  1. Budget: John distributed a financial statement for the fiscal year (April 2016-March 2017), followed by a detailed budget worksheet for 2017-2018. Changes were discussed and Frank made a motion to approve the budget with said changes. Motion passed.

Note: it is important to add that Rent for our launch moorage, NWMC (most substantially), and the Port of PT-Back 40 have increased.

  1. Plan for the year: the coaching committee met and has committed to offer members an opportunity to increase their skill level by offering weekend instruction. Several coaches have been approached with appropriate credentials and members have been contacted by email to respond.
  2. Safety: Peggy is asking the Safety Committee to prepare an agenda for the membership meeting, which may include showing the safety video and/or other topics of interest regarding safety.

Sally has agreed to email members about the meeting to include: date, time, potluck, and new member recommended fee.

Membership requirements: Kim, Sally, Frank and Mari will prepare all forms required for signature by members. There are requirements to be part of the club and an emphasis on reading and understanding the new Safe Sport policy and Club guidelines and procedures is a vital part of club standards and expectations.

SafeSport: Steve presented a synopsis of the SafeSport Guidelines. It was a recommendation to the Board to take the Safety Awareness training on the US Rowing website. Peggy will query the Safety Committee to see if they will serve as Safety Officers for this entity.

Lake Leland/Club Communication: Frank will review club communication and explore how best to complete communications and set goals to best meet the needs of our members.

Rat Island Regatta: The date is June 3, 2017. The poster is in development. A discussion at the membership meeting is needed to enlist people (rowers and volunteers) to help. Sally will send an email to “save the date” for the Regatta.

NWMC Contract: Tabled and will be moved to a later date.

 

Painting of Oars: Jim stated this is a big project and would need volunteers interested in designing and painting the oars. John will solicit interest at the membership meeting.

Boat Acquisition: John presented several options for the acquisition of a quad for the club. Continued discussions are expected to determine the feasibility for purchase.

Adjournment: There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 3:15 P.M.

Date of next meeting:  Possibly Monday, March 13th at 1 P.M. and/or March 14th at 5 P.M.

Respectfully submitted,

Karen Michaud, Secretary