Categories Menu
Minutes 4/10/17

Minutes 4/10/17

Rat Island Rowing and Sculling Club
Board Meeting Minutes April 10, 2017

Call to Order/Roll Call: Peggy Myre called the meeting to order at 1:05 p.m. at the Northwest Maritime Center.

Current board members present: Dennis Cartwright, John Collins, Kim Matthews, Karen Michaud, Kristin Smith, Frank Ward and Kathleen Sailer (absent: Sally Giesler)

Also present: Jim Mason, Jim Buckley, Mari Friend, Francine Rose, and Sandy Smith

Approval of Agenda (with rearranging several items 1a.-Francine and Jim to discuss opening ceremonies to include renaming of the Riverside; 1b.-Jim to discuss RIRSC involvement; 2.-Kristin/Safety Committee; 3.- Membership types; and 4.-Remove cox training agenda item.):

John moved to approve the agenda. Kristin seconded. Motion passed.

Approval of March Minutes: John moved to approve. Kristin seconded. Motion passed.

Agenda

1a. For the renaming ceremony, three members of the Pocock family are expected to attend and Ed Kirkpatrick, RIRSC member who donated the boat to the club. Mari will look into the unnaming ceremony, while the renaming ceremony will include flowers, champagne, water to anoint the boat and filming of the event to be put on the website.

1b. Jim B would like to see RIRSC participation for the opening day ceremonies. The unnaming/renaming ceremony could start at 10 A.M. and any additional ideas for the ceremony could be emailed to Francine; Peggy will coordinate the food/potluck for the event. Jim M states the lettering has been done; however, the boat needs sanding and varnishing.

2. Kristin met with Janet to represent the Safety Committee. They would like to present a summary of safety issues/ideas to the Board and then communicate those to membership. (ideas and issues include: launch inspections, preventing collisions, working with cox trainers on safety measures, publish a safety column, rights of crew to speak up if there are safety concerns in the boat, etc.)

3. Membership types. Frank is reviewing the bylaws and policies and procedures to remove redundancies and make them more concise. Once completed, Peggy would like the Board to review them one document at a time. After considerable discussion, Frank motioned to change the verbiage from Associate Member to Affiliate Member. Kristin seconded. Motion passed.

There are 6 types of member: Full, Affiliate, LTR, Launch Driver, Student and Youth.

Jim B would like to respond to inquiries that offer RIRSC boats for minimal or no cost. The Board agreed he would be a good contact for such purposes.

Treasurer’s Report: John presented The RIRSC Statement of Activities and Financial Position documents. 48 members have paid their membership dues compared to 54 this time last year.

Kim updated us on the membership numbers.

LTR: There are ten registered participants for the first meeting set for Saturday, April 8 th and the LTR committee will select 4 for the first class.

Guest Rower Policy: The Board has the discretion, on a case by case basis, to offer guest rowing privileges (above the limited three rows) based on information provided to the Board. John moved to offer these privileges, for this fiscal year, to said person who has dutifully provided services to RIRSC; Karen seconded. Motion passed.

Coaching Program: The coaching committee is prepared to offer agreements to two coaches who will provide sessions to RIRSC members from June through September. It will be the responsibility of the coaches or their home club to pay for a background check in compliance with US Rowing Safe Sport, if necessary, for each coach. As it is a club sanctioned event, no additional insurance is required.

Adjournment: There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 3:30 P.M.

Date of next meeting: Monday, May 8 th at 1 P.M.

Respectfully submitted,

Karen Michaud, Secretary