Categories Menu
Minutes 5/16/16

Minutes 5/16/16

Rat Island Rowing and Sculling Club Board Meeting Minutes May 16, 2016

Call to Order/Roll Call: President Toni Davison called the meeting to order at 3:30 p.m. at the Northwest Maritime Center.
Board members present: Jim Buckley, Nancy Erreca, Steve Jefferies, Karen Michaud, Michele Olsen, Cara Warren
Board members absent: Don Berger, John Collins
Also present: Linda Deal, Jim Mason, Roger McPherson, Linda Ward

Approval of Agenda: Cara moved to approve the agenda. Jim B. seconded. Motion passed.

Approval of April Minutes: Cara moved to approve. Karen seconded. Motion passed.

Treasurer’s Report: John reported from Louisiana. The balance sheet shows that we have less assets than this time last year. This is because last year at this time we have received over $8,000 for the restoration of the OCT which was subsequently spent on that restoration. Subtracting that amount from last year’s assets and adding “other current assets” to our current checking and savings total and subtracting the funds set aside in the “liabilities” register shows a truer comparison of club assets this year compared to last year. This shows that available assets this year to date are approximately $25,400 and last year about $20,000.
On the statement of activities most of our major bills for the fiscal year haven’t yet been received. On the revenue side, our total revenue is only $3,000 short of our total annual budgeted revenue, and membership dues are only $900 short of our budgeted total for membership for the whole year.
Toni reported that there are more boat repairs needed that were budgeted because of work needed on the Riverside.

New Triple (tabled from 4/11): Jim Mason would like the triple he acquired to become a club boat. The cost to sand, varnish and possibly replace some foot stretchers is about $100. Storage for another boat would be $70 a month and we would need to find the space. The club survey indicated that the club wanted another quad but they are very hard to find and expensive. Toni will contact UW and see if they will be having any used ones for sale. Michele moved that we table the decision and let people try the triple on a trial basis. Steve seconded. Motion passed. There would need to be one of the owners in the boat (Jim B., Jim M., John or Ted) and rowed during a club activity with the launch. Toni will email the club asking experienced rowers to try the triple and give the board their opinions on keeping it as a club boat. The row masters will assign rowers.

Guest Rowers: Michele reminded us that our current policy allows visitors three complementary rows and states a club member cannot be bumped. Other clubs usually have one free row or charge per row. Because we want an open policy we do not want to bump any guest rowers. Discussion was tabled until the next meeting when we will consider policy changes.

Skills Training: Toni suggested we have skills and drills training every other Saturday so we can all improve our rowing. Jane Richie has volunteered to critique rowers by video. Jim B. also offered to provide training. Jim B. suggested we start this after the LTR classes so we will be able to have a launch for open rowers and one for those wanting to do skills training.

Safety Policy – Roger presented the updated policy that incorporated changes suggested at the last meeting. Steve and Jim B. suggested it be renamed Safety Guidelines. Nancy moved to accept the policy with the new name and two additional wording corrections. Steve seconded. Motion passed. Roger will send the guidelines to the club for everyone to read.

Committees:
Publicity/Outreach/Fundraising: Francine
Website: Francine
Google Groups: John
Competition and Training: Jim B., John, Kate, Ted and/or Marsha
Maintenance and Equipment: Jim M., Steve
Participation and Turnout: Mari, John
Launch: Steve, John
Learn To Row: Jim M., Jim B., Michele, Martha
Safety/Policy: Patricia Farmer, Roger McPherson, Janet Palmer
Merchandise: Kathleen
Membership: Cara
Scholarship: Beth, Johanna, Micaela
Finance: Members needed
Club Survey: John, Mari, Jeanne, Kate, Martha, Toni
Safe Sport: Mari, Steve

Adjournment: There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 5:15 p.m.

Date of next meeting: Monday, June 13th at NWMC.

Respectfully submitted,
Nancy Erreca, Secretary