Categories Menu
Minutes 5/8/17

Minutes 5/8/17

Rat Island Rowing and Sculling Club Board Meeting Minutes May 8, 2017

Call to Order/Roll Call: Peggy Myre called the meeting to order at 1:05 p.m. at the Northwest Maritime Center.

Current board members present: Dennis Cartwright, John Collins, Kim Matthews, Kristin Smith, Frank Ward Sally Giesler and Kathleen Sailer (absent: Karen Michaud)

Also present: Jim Mason

Peggy presented some board meeting time changes to accommodate everyone’s schedule better –rooms available at 3:30 June 12 th , July 10 th 4:15 August 14 th 4:15. Sally noted that we had already been scheduled for the A/V room for 3:30 for June-Sept. Peggy will follow up with Catherine on the meeting schedule.

Approval of Agenda – John moved to approve, second Dennis, motion passed.

Approval of April- John moved to approve. Second Sally. Motion passed.

Agenda

1. Treasurer’s Report: John presented The RIRSC Statement of Activities and Financial Position documents. Currently 51 full and 1 affiliate members have paid their membership dues compared to 57 this time last year.

John also made note that there is $1200 still in insurance fund.

LTR: There are now 7 registered (5 pd) participants; There were 9 that attended the initial off- water meeting and 2 felt that they did not have the physical qualifications to continue and dropped out.

2. Membership – Kim updated us on the membership numbers. Still tracking down several folks to complete required forms & waivers. Mari will check with all that have not signed US Rowing waiver and contact them.

3. Regatta – Sally- Not many rowers available or signed up due to many past rowers will be out of town. Confirmed 2 launch drivers. Need launch coordinator. Still recruiting helpers. Sending out emails. Making collections for fish needed but recognizes that it is pricey. If weather bad, our wood boats will not participate but the race may continue for others to participate.

4. Boathouse Vacate Plan – Peggy – Peggy stated that her understanding is that starting Memorial Day we have to give up the closet and desk through summer. NWMC is planning on renting out 7 rowboats. NWMC needs space for life jackets and oars. They have scheduled to have a docent every day all day but concern was expressed from the board about leaving boat house when helping others. Our agreement is that it should be locked when unoccupied. NWMC has not contacted us with specifics but will be contacting Peggy or Sally soon.

Ace Spragg from NWMC showed up and was asked to explain plans for boathouse. NWMC needs to have some desk space for IPad, etc. – shared desk, not eliminated. Also need a place to lock life jackets and oars in closet. The have11’ skiffs. Still working on where to store them, perhaps rack or two on wheels or secured on beach. Proposed 11am to 6pm with volunteer staff on Wed, Thurs, Friday and for launch. Weekend staff is paid. She also clarified that they really do not need all of our space and she wants to work with us for best solution. Since this is a new thing, they plan on starting small, with weekends, then add days – bottom line, this is currently a work in progress and she will keep us apprised. Sally suggested she show up for one of our rows to see our process.

5. Updated Bylaws – Frank- Fielded comments and changes from the board. John moved for action to approve at next board meeting. Dennis seconded. Motion passed. John moved that the decision to approve the changes be tabled until next board meeting. Sally second. Motion passed.

Frank will clean it up the document and pass it out to board before next meeting. Frank to send out copy to board first then to club to keep the club informed of proposed changes.

6. New committees – North 40 and boathouse (Jim M) – Last week Jim saw John Sailer weed whacking the North 40. He recommended that a committee be built to oversee the management of the lot and the equipment and truck similar to La Broomba for the boathouse. Kathleen suggests naming it the Facilities committee. The board consensus was in favor of developing this committee. Dennis volunteers to coordinate this committee.

7. Volunteer Recruitment – Jim M. Suggest also next year every member who pays dues must sign up for some committee (part of our culture). Further discussion and agreement for Peggy to collate and send out to club all areas of committees and volunteer opportunities for this year.

8. LTR Update – Jim M. Initial meeting showed safety video and some terminology – first session this Saturday, still ironing out the details for first row. 8 total sessions, 7 on the water.

9. Insurance – John and Frank – Frank received some work from John regarding another insurance vendor. Our current vendor was originally affiliated with the US Rowing organization and our club chose them. A different insurance company is now affiliated with US Rowing and Frank indicated that he wants to pursue alternatives and present proposal to board. Board consensus in agreement.

Adjournment: There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 3:15 P.M.

Date of next meeting: Monday, June 12 th at 3:30 P.M.

Respectfully submitted,

Frank Ward for Karen Michaud, Secretary