Categories Menu
Minutes 6/12/17

Minutes 6/12/17

Rat Island Rowing and Sculling Club Board Meeting Minutes June 12, 2017

Call to Order/Roll Call: Peggy Myre called the meeting to order at 3:35 p.m. at the Northwest Maritime Center.
Current board members present: Dennis Cartwright, John Collins, Kim Matthews, Karen Michaud, Kristin Smith, Frank Ward, Sally Giesler and Kathleen Sailer.
Also present: Mari Friend, Steve Chapin and Otto Smith.

Approval of Agenda (with additional discussion on item 5 to include Lorna incident and segway to hear from Steve Chapin): John moved to approve the Agenda, Dennis seconded. Motion passed.

Approval of May Minutes: The May minutes should be changed to reflect the following board meeting times: July 10th at 3:30; August 14th at 3:30 and September 11th at 3:30; October 9th at 1:00; and November 13th at 1:00. Sally moved to approve. Kristin seconded. Motion passed.

Treasurer’s Report:
John distributed the Balance Sheet and RIRSC Statement of Activities.

Regatta Recap/Review of Safety Protocols:
Regatta: The good news… there is leftover salmon for another party! Sally was happy with the event and Steve thanked the club for their continued support of the regatta. Great job Sally and Steve.
Safety issues: Kristin recapped the Lorna mishap in the race; John added that it came up rather unexpectedly, too late to bail, boat took on too much water. Take away from the discussion: it would be most beneficial to have launch boats in zones to monitor conditions and racers on the water; a radio relay to launches from Pt Hudson; to hold a meeting prior to the race to discuss responsibilities of launch drivers, spotters, and safety personnel; and to have necessary safety equipment supplied to the private boats for the race.
Kristin will work with Steve to improve safety procedures for next year. Kristin will also email the club for any additional information on the regatta incident and compile that information to make further recommendations.

Lorna incident: Kathleen discussed what transpired with the Lorna on June 11, 2017. Focus and awareness is crucial to getting everyone in safely. Peggy will email the club regarding boathouse etiquette.

Steve Chapin: Steve has been given notice by the Port to move out of his shop by the end of August. The Port has agreed to try to find him suitable space. Steve will work with the Port and he will also be looking for space outside the port.

Insurance Requirements for Launch Drivers:
Those drivers who are not RIRSC rowing members need to complete the US Rowing Waiver and RIRSC Waiver; they are covered by RIRSC liability insurance.

 

Vote on Updated Bylaws:
Our mission statement in the Bylaws needs to mirror that on the header of our Board Agenda. With that change, the board voted to approve the Bylaws.

Recruitment for new Facilities and Maintenance Committee:
Dennis will chair this new Committee and will put out a notice for members to assist in cleaning out the truck, mow and maintain the area. Dates will be provided.

New LTR Class:
No representatives were there to discuss.

Adjournment: There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 5:10 P.M.

Date of next meeting: Monday, July 10th at 3:30 P.M.

Respectfully submitted,
Karen Michaud, Secretary