Categories Menu
Minutes 8/14/17

Minutes 8/14/17

Rat Island Rowing and Sculling Club Board Meeting Minutes August 14, 2017

Call to Order/Roll Call: Peggy Myre called the meeting to order at 3:35 p.m. at the Northwest Maritime Center.
Current board members present: Kim Matthews, Karen Michaud, Sally Giesler and Kathleen Sailer..Absent were: Dennis Cartwright, John Collins, Kristin Smith, and Frank Ward
Also present: Mari Friend, Steve Chapin, Jim Mason, Jim Buckley, Ted Shoulberg, Sam Gibboney, Brad Clinefelter, and Jake Beattie.

Approval of Agenda: (with additional item #8, Sally to discuss boat offer and #9 Letter from Member): Sally moved to approve the Agenda, Karen seconded. Motion passed.

Approval of June Minutes: (as no meeting was held in July): Sally moved to approve. Kathleen seconded. Motion passed.

Special Guest – Brad Clinefelter – Mooring Buoy Proposal
A lengthy discussion was held regarding the purchase and placement of year-round mooring buoys. Those involved in the discussion were the attending RIRSC board members, RIRSC members and representatives from the Northwest Maritime Center.
RIRSC voiced concerns over potential placement of mooring buoys between the Maritime Center dock and the city dock as launching boats large and small could prove difficult; and the interior lane between the ferry and the Maritime dock is our traffic lane, especially when wind becomes a safety issue;
Wind and current could be issues regarding the placement of the projected 10 to 20 buoys considered;
A regular pattern of buoys would be easiest to judge with a height of 24 inches for visibility, noting the current white buoys are sometimes difficult to see; and
This proposal will be carefully vetted by state and federal agencies during the permit process, and could take at least a year for the permitting process

Treasurer’s Report: Karen distributed the Balance Sheet and RIRSC Statement of Activities as of August 14, 2017 for John Collins. The budget will be discussed next month when John is present.

Wooden Boat Festival: Sally is asking for a main point person to operate the race; she has notes from previous years and will solicit in an email to the club. The boathouse will be open for the festival; therefore, docents are needed, as well as persons to register the participants and run the race. Mari will have a signup on Google sheets and Kathleen and Ted will put the boats together. Steve C. will coordinate the race buoys and 2 launches will be needed as well as an additional boat for race personnel. Ted has proposed a flash mob involving band(s) that he will coordinate per Jake’s approval.

Youth Rowing Program (not on Agenda): Since, to date, RIRSC is not capable of running a youth program, is the Maritime Center interested in doing so. Jake stated that for this program to be viable, they would need to develop the infrastructure and move to an earned strategy to support the program. Sequence of events for a youth program in PT: RIRSC decides if they are willing to take it on (Yes or No); if no, the Maritime Center would need to review and put together an RFP to evaluate if such a program is financially feasible.

Dates on Forms: Kim will work with Kathleen and also, Frank to update the forms and add dates on the forms where needed.

Boat offer: Someone is willing to give away a 3-piece sectional boat. Sally is willing to go and look at it, but would like Jim M or Jim B to accompany her. She will provide more information when she has seen the boat.

Letter from Member: The Board was copied on the letter and discussed how to react to incidents on the water. Since no one from the Safety Committee was at the meeting, the letter will be reviewed by the committee, interviews will be conducted with all persons on the water that day and findings will be presented at the next board meeting.

Committee Reports
Google Groups: Check times on the row calendar; the 5:30 row will be moving to 5:45 soon.

Racing and Training: Mari and Kathleen reported 12 members went through cox training. She is trying to get them training on the water with experienced persons (Sally, Janet, Kathleen and Beth).

Maintenance and Equipment: Jim will be spending about $1,000 on parts in the next month.

Launch: Drivers are in the queue to be trained.

Membership: Kim stated there are 61 members to date.

 

Adjournment: There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 5:35 P.M.

Date of next meeting: Monday, September 11th at 3:30 P.M.

Respectfully submitted,
Karen Michaud, Secretary